For people obliged to leave Germany

If you have a border crossing certificate, you will usually not be allowed to work, which means you will not have public health insurance. Your medical care will then be paid for by the German government.

According to the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act, you are entitled to treatment for acute illness and pain and to all examinations and treatments relating to pregnancy and birth.

In some German states, you have to go to the social security office (“Sozialamt”) to obtain a medical treatment document, that is valid for a limited period of time. In other German states, you are given a health card with which you can go directly to a doctor.

Treatment of an HIV infection is also covered by the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act because an HIV infection can be fatal if left untreated.

After 18 months, the social security office will register you with a health insurance company. You will receive a health card and will be able to go to a doctor with the card and will no longer need the medical treatment document.

Tip: No matter what kind of health problem you have – there is almost always a solution. It’s best to get advice. Counseling centers can be found here.