For people without valid residence documents

Person mit roter Schleife

If you are living in Germany without a residency title, you will not be able to obtain insurance from a health insurance company. However, under certain circumstances, you will receive benefits under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act – it’s best to get advice. Counselling centers can be found here.

Anonymous and free treatment

You can get anonymous (you do not have to give your name) and free treatment from organizations such as Malteser Migranten Medizin, MediBüro, or Ärzte der Welt (Doctors of the World) if you suddenly fall ill, injure yourself or if you are pregnant.

In an emergency, you should go to the hospital immediately. The emergency department must help you even if you are not insured and cannot pay for treatment.

Nevertheless, problems can sometimes arise at the hospital. Therefore, it is good to have contact with a clearing centre or a MediNetz/MediBüro, so that you can then get support quickly.

Chronic illness

If you are chronically ill, it is not easy to obtain ongoing medical treatment and medication. Furthermore, you would have to pay for it yourself. Especially in the case of a severe illness such as HIV, this is very expensive. If you are in such a situation, consult a migrant organization for advice. Addresses can be found here. Public health offices (“Gesundheitsamt”) and HIV/AIDS service organizations can also provide help.


If you are pregnant and do not have any health insurance, you can also go to a public health office for examinations. In addition, you are protected from deportation for at least six weeks before and up to eight weeks after giving birth; in some German states even as long as three months before and up to three months after giving birth. You will then be able to receive a temporary suspension of deportation and benefits according to the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act. A counseling center can also provide further assistance.